For more information, contact:
Director Communications and Public Relations
4175 Medulla Rd. • Lakeland, FL 33811
P: 863.644.2431 • F: 863.644.9737
SUN 'n FUN SUN 'n FUN Building a Brighter Future through Aviation.. at AirVenture!
LAKELAND, FL - July 24, 2013 - On Wednesday, July 31st, in the Media Center at EAA Airventure, Robert A. (Bob) Knight, Chairman of the SUN 'n FUN Board of Directors and John R. "Lites" Leenhouts, SUN 'n FUN President and CEO will introduce current students and graduates of the Central Florida Aerospace Academy (CFAA) in Lakeland, FL to the aviation community. The students will visit unique aviation exhibits as well as volunteer for the week at KidVenture in Oshkosh representing the future of aviation offered through SUN 'n FUN.
Located on the SUN 'n FUN campus, CFAA is a workforce academy of Polk County Schools - a public school with a 100% graduation rate! Students are incorporated into the daily activities at SUN 'n FUN as staff and volunteers strive to "Build a Brighter Future Through Aviation." Projects in the Buehler Restoration Center are completed by future aviators and A&P mechanics as professionals offer guidance and oversight. Members of the Lakeland AeroClub are offered a 75% cash scholarship for flight lessons. The remaining 25% of the expense can be worked out in volunteer hours. With the relocation of the Florida Headquarters for the Civil Air Patrol to the SUN 'n FUN campus, students participate in community service projects. The Air Force Junior ROTC program at CFAA enrolls students into the rigor of a military academy that may be in their future. Teens assist as mentors and teachers' aides during Destination Aviation and STEMtastics™ summer camps and offer tours to visitors to the SUN 'n FUN campus year-round. Examples of high quality citizens and overachievers is seen in every activity.
Benefactors, sponsors, exhibitors and attendees at year round events contribute financially to aviation curriculums and activities conducted year round enabling SUN 'n FUN to contribute more than $1 million to education in Polk County. Learn about the new look in the Florida Air Museum and the dynamic presentations as visitors experience interactive displays entwined with the rich history of aviation. Plans for the 40th SUN 'n FUN International Fly-In & Expo will also be discussed. Visit SUN 'n FUN in Booth 3012 at EAA Airventure to learn more about the programs and year round events.
SUN ‘n FUN’s mission is to preserve and enhance the future of flight through world-class events, inspiring and educating people of all ages. SUN ‘n FUN Fly-In, Inc. is a 501c3 corporation.
Labels: Airventure, Central Florida Aerospace Academy, CFAA, education, kids, Oshkosh, school, sun and fun, sun n fun, youth