Stern drive lower unit maintenance checklist
1. Inspect for lower
unit for chips, leakage, anode and propeller.
2. Make sure lower unit is in the down position for at least ½
hours before draining gear lube.
3. Remove bottom drain plug first, the slower draining makes it
easy to inspect the used lubricant.
4. Remove the top drain plug.
5. Fill with correct gear lube from the bottom up.
6. Replace top drain plug when lube overfills then replace lower
7. Remove propeller and check for fishing line, wire or other
items that will damage the seal around the prop shaft.
8. Repair or replace propeller as needed. If it’s painted, rough
the surface with sand paper or abrasive cloth, clean with thinner or acetone to
remove grease and repaint propeller before installation.
9. Remove or sand corrosion and scratches on the lower unit. Clean
with thinner or acetone and repaint with appropriate paint. Some minor corrosion can be removes with the
abrasive cloth and a cola product.
the tilt hinge and clean the polished struts on the hydraulic tilt unit. Dirt and scratches can damage the seals in
the hydraulic cylinders. If you don’t have a high quality metal polish you can
always use a little Crest toothpaste.
And don't forget to winterize if you live in the cold weather states.
Labels: boat lower unit service, boat maintenance, Boat shows, boating service, check list, power boats